I heard that there was something interesting happening on TV tonight. I opted for the peace and tranquility of my colouring book because that deluded Oompa Loompa only infuriates me.
Hi my awesome people! So I mentioned last night is was a wee bit tired. Well let me be perfectly honest I had ZERO interest in getting out of bed this morning. But because we are grown ups (allegedly) we had lots of busy plans so we rolled out, bodies protesting every centimeter. I had a wonderful morning tea with Sandra and caught up with my sweet little godson who is now old enough to potty train and speaks to me in whole sentences (How did that happen SO fast?!).
In the afternoon we were off for the 3rd Annual Jugger BBQ in the Park! I love getting our local Juggers together for this fun event that mixes playing and more socialization. It’s great when people stop and watch and cheer and ask questions about the game. This year I got to pass grill duty off to Gil (payment for picking him and several other drunk boys last night from a bachelor party.) Instead I got to spend the afternoon hanging out on my banana, making awesome new friends and relaxing in the sunshine.
The highlight of this years BBQ was a visit from one of our younger Juggers. J is 14 and he has not been able to play with us in WAY too long. He was diagnosed last winter with Burkitt’s lymphoma which was a big shock because he was so young. But today he seemed tall, handsome and healthy!! And also much closer to being a teenager than he was this time last year.
After the BBQ we has to run off to Prospect for yet another game of dodgeball. WEEE! It certainly wasn’t the greatest game of my life since every cell in my body was aching from yesterday but I was in good company, most us were too sore to do anything but laugh at our selves. But it was fun and I got to hang with my peeps so… woo.
The evening brought a hot a date with my favorite husband and then a long soak in a hot bath. Pretty much it was a perfect day! Happy Sunday everyone.
I am laying in bed fully dressed, half watching some Star Trek and trying to force myself to stay awake because at some point I will have to make a third trip to Prospect to pick up Gilly from Jeff’s bachelor party. This waking state is no mean feat as I am BEYOND exhausted. Today we had get another fundraising tournament with our dodgeball family, this time to raise money to send our sweet Ginger, Brogan, to represent us and Team Canada in Melbourne at Dodgeball World Championships.
I never go to these events with a goal of winning. I go to be a member of a community and to work on my skills. Today the gym we play in was EXTRA hot, the games long and hard fought but in the end we did win which was icing on the cake. But my body is paying the price big time! A bad landing bunged up one knee, a well placed ball to the face had me seeing Tweety Birds for a while. Five forty minute games follow by three thirty minute games works pretty much every muscle you know you have and some you are unaware of. oww.
You want to talk about getting some perspective?! I remember getting this phone call 2 years ago. I remember the person in the voice mail telling me where they were calling from then seeing spots in front of my eyes. I was still in total defensive mode, even though I had the report from the pathologist, I was still scared, my body was still in recovery from the surgery and I was STILL on antibiotics after almost three months of post surgical infections, yes, I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I didn’t want to listen to the rest of the message but it went on… much to my sheer joy.
I am glad this memory came back in my facebook feed this morning. There is nothing in the world to lift your mood and to give you perspective about what is really important in life than a reminder about how bleak things seemed.
Well Kittens and Cool Cats I am not sure where the rest of 2016 has gone but as of today, which happens to be the first day of Autumn, we are down to the last 100 days!
You can accomplish A LOT in 100 days. I have decided that I am just going to do my damnedest to enjoy it all. I know that sometimes it is easier to find the negative but I am making it my mission to be positive and engaged for the next 100 days.
I kicked off my 100 days by going on a wonderful date with one of my favorite people. We ate junk food, collected Pokemon and talked for ages. It was damn awesome!
Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go.
2013 was another big year for me and mine some bad but lots more good. Shall we take a stroll down memory lane?
- The year started with me still in a cast, that kind of sucked and my toes were cold ALL the time.
- Gil took me to White Point to celebrate my 38th birthday.
- My brother Mike left on the HMCS Toronto for a VERY long deployment. That sucked too.
- The Pope resigned but it turned out for the best because we got an AWESOME new one.
- In March I started running again…. briefly.
- We lost my sweet Grammy and the whole world became a less good place.
- My fellow geeks banded together to celebrate SZJ IX. Dang, 9 years of awesome.
- Aimee and I went hunting… maple syrup.
- I got a bike and even learned to ride it… mostly.
- In May I ran my first 5k. I came in last and enjoyed every moment of it.
- My god son Logan was born! YAY! To solidify this year of the boy he was shortly followed by his second cousins Oliver and Seumas. I love them all.
- I got my inner lady bits lasered out. Yeah, that’s TMI
- I quit Maxwell Paper, and this time I meant it.
- In June I ran the Sole Sisters 5K with two amazing women.
- I started at NSPI and despite some extensive bitching I still think it was a good move.
- I had one of the best weekends of my life with Aimee and Bonita and discovered I am a savant at drunken dart playing.
- July brought the epic, hot, insane feat of Mud Hero with Gil and Terry. It was…. crazy.
- Our household increased by one as my nephew Kian came to stay for a weekend and never left. we actually really like having him, it give us someone to blame stuff on!
- We went to the best wedding when Dave and David FINALLY got married.
- My Brother Mike came home for deployment and I was able to finally able to take a break from worrying about him.
- August was a busy month but we managed to find a weekend to head up to Cap Pele to have a long over due visit with my sister in law Amy, my nephew Eric and his lovely girlfriend Alisha.
- We went to PEI for a dodgeball tournament and had an amazing time with our dodge-peeps.
- We lost Grampy at the venerable age of 96.
- We entered September covered in paint, caulk and channeling Mike Holmes as we undertook our bathroom renovation.
- I saw my life flash before my eyes while we were Tidal Bore rafting with Clint, Shelly and Selena.
- I fulfilled a dream in October by participating in the Run For The Cure. I was so proud of myself.
- Gil and I celebrated 7 years of straight up marital bliss.
- We had a provincial election and I was exceedingly proud of my friend Brendan Maguire who won the seat in his riding Halifax Atlantic.
- Aimee and I went on the best road trip, epic BFFFE weekend to “the cottage”. It was cold but we channeled our inner pioneer and kicked the cold in the ass.
- I got to go see Reba in concert, live. She was amazing.
- I got to have THE BEST DAY EVER! An anniversary gift from my husband of a day to do what ever I want. It was amazing.
- I became Godmother to the sweetest little boy in the world
- December has been lost to winter storms and boy have there been a lot of them, it’s a good thing I am so fond of my co-workers
- we did manager to fit in a nice visit with Craig and Heather, it was great to see them as well as a large portion of our A.C crew.
- I became a film star… stay tuned for details.
- My sweet Baboo turned 42 and suddenly seemed to have all the answer to … life, the universe and everything!
So you can see it was a full year. I made some great new friends and some great memories. Thank you to everyone who helped make 2013 a success, let’s see what kind of trouble we can get up to in 2014!
Dudes it is FREEZING out. Where the hell did winter come from? I don’t remember it being this cold last November. Speaking of last November, a year ago today I was out for a run with coach Dan and I took one wrong step… boom! It’s probably over dramatic to say EVERYTHING changed but I will say that one misstep has made a big impact on my life. First was the endless weeks in the cast and then the physio and I guess I expected eventually my foot would just go back to “normal”. But so far that is a pipe dream. My foot has never gone back to the same size it was before, it seems to be perpetually swollen. Some days if I have been on my feet a lot or the weather sucks I get full on cankle, oh yeah I have an old lady weather predicting foot! Sexy stuff kids. After making excuse after excuse I have all but given up on running because the truth is I find it hurts, the pain varies from discomfort to “won’t some chop the effing foot off please” but it never feels good. The worst thing is how nervous I feel about hurting it again. Gil finally convinced me to anti-slip grips in the tub so that I could relax a little while I am in the shower but yesterday I had a full blown panic attack when I was stepping on some leaves in our backyard because they were slippery. I am thirty eight, too effing young to be worried about falling, but I am seriously thinking about investing in a LifeAlert
I had an appointment with my specialist OBGYN today to talk about the results of my CTScan from last month. It was a pretty frustrating appointment. One of the down sides of having a doc at a teaching hospital is that they often use unusual circumstances as “teaching moment”. There were so many people in my business today I felt like a clown car. I was SO frustrated so of course I was cracking jokes; I was pretty much on fire, when when doctor asked if he could examine me I actually said “Of course, welcome to my vagina!” I thought the nurse was going to have a stroke. Anyway I am no closer to an answer. Dr. R says I am a medical marvel, it’s not a hernia, and it’s not a bartholin cyst. He actually used the word STUMPED. He is not giving up and urged patience which I will give him ‘cause I kind of love him. And then he TRICKED me, he said “since you’re up there….” and grabbed a speculum. Jerk!